How do I make a complaint about an Insolvency Practitioner?

Summary: This article reviews the reason why an individual may wish to make a complaint about an Insolvency Practitioner (IP) and who to contact.

An insolvency practitioner (IP) is someone who deals with anything related to insolvency. They work both on behalf of creditors seeking to reclaim outstanding debt by petitioning for bankruptcy, and also on behalf of individuals, often managing the terms of bankruptcy or Individual Voluntary Arrangement (IVA). They must also be authorised to practice by the Secretary of State.

Under what circumstances could a complaint be made against an IP?

An IP is required to comply with a number of professional standards known as Statements of Insolvency Practice (SIPs), of which there are many. As a general rule, if an individual believes their IP to be acting unprofessionally, unethically or in any way improperly, then a complaint may be made against them.

Who do I complain to about my IP?

It is often the case that approaching the Insolvency Practitioner, or their company, directly can result in a resolution, without having to take matters further. However, if there is still no satisfactory resolution, then the individual should approach the relevant authorising body. This information should be detailed in any correspondence from the IP, but if it is still unclear, the Insolvency Service recommends the following:

Search the Insolvency Services database of IPs at their website Contact the Insolvency Enquiry Line by email: or by phone: 0845 602 9848. Write to the Insolvency Practitioner Regulation Section (IPRS) of The Insolvency Service, 4th Floor, 4 Abbey Orchard St, London, SW1P 2HT, who will forward complaints to the appropriate authorising body.

If your complaint concerns an insolvency practitioner authorised by DETI you should write to Insolvency Practitioner Unit, The Insolvency Service, Fermanagh House, Ormeau, Avenue, Belfast, BT2 8NJ, or email them at:

What information should i provide when complaining about an Insolvency Practitioner?

The insolvency Service recommend including the following information in any complaint: Name and address The full name of the insolvency case, together with the court name and number if applicable Copies of any relevant correspondence about the complaint The name and address of the insolvency practitioner concerned, including the name of their firm Full details of what has gone wrong or has not been handled properly An explanation of how you would like the complaint to be resolved.

The Insolvency Service advises that they will provide a written response within 15 days detailing what action they are taking.